[Uml-devel] Re: karbon14 and uml

Sebastian Stein seb_stein at gmx.de
Tue Apr 8 08:27:12 UTC 2003

Lenny <kudling at kde.org> [030407 15:55]:
> > Its not :}
> > I am CCing to Lenny, who did most of the core work (paths/visitors/document
>
> As far as i understand you are especially looking for rendering vector
> graphics. In this case i would redirect you back to Rob. :)

Yes. We have a given SVG file and just want to render it. But we would also
like to get information when the user interacts with the rendered scene. So
we need all mouse events like clicking, moving, mouse button and on which
object.

> Lenny, who doesn't really know the aim.

Ok, Umbrello is an UML modelling tool. UML is a graphical notation for
software systems. It the upcoming UML 2.0 standard, the visual
representation of UML diagrams is stored with SVG. The logical modell data
is stored in XMI, a XML dialect.

During our rewrite of the whole Umbrello app, we want to base our new app
around the new UML 2.0 standard. So we are looking for a new rendering
engine. We don't want to reinvent the wheel. Furthermore, rendering vector
graphics is very important to such an app, because it is the common
interface to the user. The user interacts with the rendered view of the
modell. So we need a really good rendering and good user interaction
possibilities.

Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation
Homepage        : http://www.umbrello.org/