[Uml-devel] codegenerators

Gustavo Madrigal linux_news at nextphere.com
Thu Apr 3 15:23:30 UTC 2003

On Thursday 03 April 2003 15:08, Luis De la Parra Blum wrote:
> what document arch are you talking about?
> I wasnt talking here about code generation (I guess the subject misslead
> you), but about code import -- we now have a C++ parser which is more or
> les good, but relatively inflexible...  we need a good code import
> architecture, flexible, where we can have many languages suported. they
> should spit out the XMI representation of the classes, which we can then
> load.
> once that is working you can easyly merge two classes together.

I have been checking ctags (http://ctags.sourceforge.net), this app generates
an index (a file with a tag per line) of objects (functions, classes, etc)
found in source files. What I like about it is that it supports 33 languages,
and it can be used to minimize the amount of work when parsing source files.
It can tell you in which line a function is defined, in which file and then
all you have to do is write your a function parser (parse the function
definition until it is over, without worrying about any function bodies. The
same applies to class declarations, etc.

Plus, when you are generating code from umbrello, each tag could be used as a
link between the UMLObject and the corresponding code, so changes to class
names of method names in diagrams can be propagated to code.

Comments?

--
Gustavo Madrigal