[Uml-devel] codegenerators

Tsuraan grovenjl at rose-hulman.edu
Thu Apr 3 14:28:18 UTC 2003

> embedding the editor is not the problem... but if I understand you right,

I really don't think the editor should be embedded.  For example, I use vim
for most things, and I would prefer to continue with that.  Most people don't
like vim though, so that would make the majority of people unhappy.  I think
that the idea that was previously posted, having some user-defined editor
field, would be much better.  At least have an option to override the
integrated editor with some outside one.

> you'd need to parse the file as you write in the editor ( in real time !)..
> writing a c++ parser is not a trivial task.... for code import it would not
> be too dificult, because you parse only the class, ops and atts
> declarations ( small subset of the language) - you could take everything
> betwwen { } after the operation and put it as "CDATA" as the operation
> method (implementation) but if you want to parse everything, well... it's a
> bit more complicated

Along this line, will it be possible to store comment information in the
parsed data?  Specifically, I'm thinking of having Umbrello be capable of
parsing the comments for doxygen tags and automatically adding descriptions
of the functions as they are added to the UML diagram.  It would be a nice
feature, and I don't think it would be terribly hard to implement.

--jay