[Uml-devel] U2 questions / comments

Luis De la Parra Blum lparrab at gmx.net
Tue Apr 1 11:31:45 UTC 2003

Hi Andy, hi all,

I just got me a copy of umbrello2-cvs and am in the process of building it.
hopefully in the next days I'll have a bit of time so that I can start
playing around with it, but first some questions / comments:

about the metamodels: could you please give a brief expl. about the different
classes?, for examle, for UML::Class I've found Core::Class, Core::Class_Impl
and Core::Class_Class ?

what is the role of each of them? for what I can tell, the Class does nothing
but return a pointer to a Class_Impl, which is the one doing all the work...
question: why did you implement it this way? (instead of having the Class have
all the methods?
I guess the Class_Class is the reflective interface for the Class... but how
do you use it?

- about the app: I think that having  the version number in the class/file
name is not a good idea at all... I know it's a complete re-write and
everything, but what are you going to do with Umbrello2App when we get to
version 3? -> either you're gonna get some inconsistency in the names, or
you're going to have to re-write large parts of code.
By having version number as part of the name, you are saying good bye to a
smoot evolution of the project ( slowly improving the code till you get to v3
) and are forcing a rewrite for the next major version.
It's not for nothing that KMainWindow is not named KMainWindow3_1_1 ...

having the version number in the libraries and/ or executables is not so bad,
but there is a big difference between having make output a file named
umbrello2 or libu2uml, and having the classes named like that.

another point is, I think that a vanilla Document/View model is not going to
be enough for U2.... we are going to have one document (our Model), but
ther's going to be many types of views. (diagram views, "model browsers",
etc, etc ) Each view looks at one part of the document and or from a
different point of view

regards,
luis