[Uml-devel] trying ...

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Mon Sep 16 16:02:03 UTC 2002

> I'm trying to package uml for Darwin / MacOSX from cvs.

Excellent.  I never knew KDE worked for MacOS X, what's it like?

> I tried current
> cvs and the snapshot. I did not try the 1.0.3 release because from what
> I understood from the uml homepage, it does not build well with KDE 3,
> which is the only available version on Darwin.

You'll probably have noticed that 1.1 beta 1 is out.  It won't be much
different from what you tried from CVS.

> I have this problem that libheadings.a does not get any objects in the
> Makefile to build from.
>
> Making all in headings
> rm -f libheadings.a
> ar cru libheadings.a
> ar: no archive members specified

Looks like KDevelop did a strange thing there and decided to create a
library with nothing in it.  This doesn't cause a problem with GNU which
seems to be happy for ar to make the library without any files but
presumably the Mac System 10 ar doesn't like that.

I've removed the references to libheadings in Makefile.am so this library
is no longer built.  Update your CVS and do a make -f Makefile.cvs
et al and see if that helps.

Note to other developers: I'm not totally confident with autoconf and
automake especially when KDevelop does the magic for you.  I don't know if
it's going to just add in the references to libheadings again.  One day
I'll try out KDevelop and see what it's up to.