[Uml-devel] Fw: UML modeller - installation and development

Sebastian Stein s5228 at informatik.htw-dresden.de
Mon Sep 2 09:01:22 UTC 2002

Paul Hensgen <phensgen at bigpond.net.au> [020901 16:35]:
> > 1. The classparser is dependent upon GNU Flex which isn't checked for in
> > configuration.

Are you able to fix this in the makefiles? If yes, please send the patch to
the devel list and we will include it into CVS for you!

> > 2. The png images in the handbook are "corrupted by ASCII conversion" or
> so
> > khelpcenter says when trying to show them. This occured on two
> > completely separate installations (on a Linux box as well) so it can't
> > be the
> unpacking or
> > something like that.

The handbook is very outdated. So we would have to rework it completely,
before we make a real release for end users. I think we first should try to
fix all remaining bugs, make a development release and start with things
like handbook writting after that.

> > 3. The KDE fix for lack of 'setenv(...)' (declared in config.h and defined
> in
> > fakes.c) wasn't found on my Solaris system (that lacks setenv in stdlib).
> > added the signature from kdelib's config.h to uml.h, and that worked, but
> it's
> > ugly as hell ;-), it would've been better to get it declared in a config.h
> file
> > just as for kdelibs.

Any idea how to fix this?

> > Since I myself is a C++-programmer and use UML a lot I naturally feel like
> > helping out improving the program, and I read that this is of intrest to
> the
> > project. I don't know how much time I will have, but I guess that's always
> the
> > case. Please let me know what the next planned improvements are and if you
> have
> > some small one that you can hand out to start with. One problem I must
> mention
> > is that I cannot use cvs through our firewall so CM has to be "manual".

Your help is very welcome. I think first you could start to fix the things
you found! Than some days ago a todo list was sent to the devel list. You
can download the list's archive from sf.net/projects/uml. Than please join
the mailing list and send patches to it!!!

"Hört auf zu meckern oder geht wählen!"
22. September 2002, Wahl zum Deutschen Bundestag