[Uml-devel] Wish for redesign

Luis De la Parra lparrab at gmx.net
Mon Oct 28 04:21:03 UTC 2002

> Am Montag, 28. Oktober 2002 02:55 schrieb Jonathan Riddell:
> But what about the KDE port on cygwin. As far as I know they don't use an
> M$  specific (or built) software for this. They are working on a Qt 3.0.4
> port.
> Current KDE port is 2.2.X.

As far as I know, what the guys at cygwin are doing is building a "unix
system enviroment" for windows. that means, they are building a Posix layer on
top of the windows api, so that posix-compilant applications can be easily
ported to windows.

in other words, they implement a "socket" on top of "winsock" and a "file
descriptor" on top of a "file handle" and a "pthread" on top of a "windows
thread"

Coming back to the KDE port:
For the GUI, they use a X Server for Windows. If I understand this right,
this means they are NOT using QT for Windows, but QT for X  (for Linux/
XFree86)
Since the X Protocol is platfrom independet, they can draw all the GUI stuff
on screen without noticing any difference, and the non-GUI stuff is taken
care of by cygwin

there are no license problems here, since they are using the GPLed version
of QT/X, and (I assume) a GPLed X Server for windows, and Cygwin is GPLed
itself.

Note that this is not a "native" windows application, but an extra layer to
run Unix programs on Windows. If this is what you want, then the Umbrello
"port" should be really easy... the only thing you need to do is to get Cygwin
and the X Server going.

The problems I was talking about before are if you want to "really" port
Umbrello to Windows --> then I think you need VisualC++, a QT/Win and port the
KDE-specific code in Umbrello to QT only.

regards,

luis.