[Uml-devel] Wish for redesign

Sebastian Stein s5228 at informatik.htw-dresden.de
Sat Oct 26 01:50:03 UTC 2002

E.L. Willighagen <egonw at sci.kun.nl> [021026 10:02]:
> > But I think that the "hacker" would never use such a tool. And most
> > commercial developers are from big companies and such companies have their
> > own tools and processes to develop software. Maybe we could adress people
> > in small companies who want to do UML, but the financal risk to invest in a
> > expensive tool is to high.
>
> Not true. There is at least one... I consider myself a 'hacker', being a
> person who tries to do stuff which is not yet possible or not originally
> intended to do so with some certain hard/software... Which is in the very
> nature of every scientist! Basically, every scientist is a hacker...

Ok, we are getting to the definition of the term hacker. I think there are
so many definitions avaible that we could discuss about the right meaning
for month and we will not come to an end. I've written a report about the
hacker's term some years ago in English. So if you really interested, I can
mail it to you (if I can locate on some of my backup cds).

> > > 3. How can we get open source developers to use it?
>
> Important goal is tools to make diagrams based on available software to
> analyze the structure of the source code. This does not only involve class
> diagrams, but more importantly autogeneration of flow charts (of which I
> forgot the proper UML name) based on the source code (which would require
> some user interaction)...

Very important point I think!!!

> > I think the app must support a lot of things developers don't like to do
> > like writing documentation.
>
> I do not consider Umbrello an important tool in writing documentation. I
> think it is far more interesting as to consider it a tool to explain
> algorithms.

Every diagram connected to source code is documentation. Not only text is
documentation. Think: a image/picture is telling more than 1000 words! And
yes, Umbrello can generate documentation by generating code with the text
from the doc window.

http://www.hpfsc.de/ - die Seite rund um:
Assembler, Bundeswehr, TFT LCDs, Halle/Saale, Fahrradtouren,
Wanderstaat Mauma, Raumschiff USS Nathan, Enemy Room, MLCAD Tutorial