[Uml-devel] Wish for redesign

Sebastian Stein s5228 at informatik.htw-dresden.de
Sat Oct 26 01:50:02 UTC 2002

Andrew Sutton <ansutton at kent.edu> [021026 10:02]:
> > I do not consider Umbrello an important tool in writing documentation. I
> > think it is far more interesting as to consider it a tool to explain
> > algorithms.
>
> i think... that is probably the most narrow minded view of an application
> i've ever heard. UML is not about witing documentation - its REALLY not
> about this. For the most part, its use in explaining algorithms is fairly
> weak. UML (and Umbrello by reason of implementation) is a tool for
> designing and building software systems. that needs to be the target view
> of the system and that needs to be the goal we attain - so nobody else
> says that its about writing documentation or explaining algorithms.

Like said in the other mail, it is definitly producing documentation. If I'm
a new developer in a team working since a year on a project, the first thing
I would do is to a) see the project documentation, b) Pflichtenheft
(contract with the customer what to do and not to do), c) if avaible the
design (UML, context diagrams...), d) the source code and e) the working
state of work. If I can do all these things it is much easier to get into a
project.

http://www.hpfsc.de/ - die Seite rund um:
Assembler, Bundeswehr, TFT LCDs, Halle/Saale, Fahrradtouren,
Wanderstaat Mauma, Raumschiff USS Nathan, Enemy Room, MLCAD Tutorial