[Uml-devel] Wish for redesign

Luis De la Parra Blum lparrab at gmx.net
Thu Oct 24 12:39:19 UTC 2002

On Thursday 24 October 2002 20:39, Sebastian Stein wrote:
> Is it possible to write the app in 100% Qt and add only in another layer
> the KDE support? It would be great if I could compile the app on MS Win as
> well.

we've already had that discussion here...
The KDE-specific code is not too much and it would be possible to mantain the
two versions (creating an extra layer on top of all the KDE classes that
could be switched to QT or KDE at compile time)....but I dont know if this
would be too expensive to mantain in the long run.
I definetly want Umbrello to stay a KDE app.  If you (we) can get it to run in
QT pure, then fine, but I am NOT willing to give up KDE integration.

Another thing is that--as far as I know-- the free QT version for Windows is
the 2.x series, and I dont know if there was a QCanvas there (among other
things).  Altough I think the prices of QT for comerciall versions are not
too expensive if you want to develop a comerciall application and sell it, I
will not be purchasing one license to make Umbrello run on Windows, and I
doubt any of the developers here would... so, unless the 2.x series has
everything we need for Umbrello, you can forget the idea right away.

The other problem I see, is that if we want to some time have the option to
integrate Umbrello with KDevelop, we have to use KParts technology, and I
dont think we have (at least I know I dont) the skills or time to port that
beast to windows.

If the only thing you want to do is run Umbrello on windows, then I think the
only thing you need is a X server for windows ( I think there are some free
available) and cgywin(?).  I've never tryied, but I've heard the whole KDE
can be got to run on windows...
If you do try to go this way, please keep me informed on how you did it.

luis.