[Uml-devel] [ uml-Feature Requests-626891 ] messages for operations in super classes

Luis De la Parra Blum lparrab at gmx.net
Tue Oct 22 10:32:01 UTC 2002

> Initial Comment:
> Sequence diagram messages should allow you to pick from the operations in
> super classes.
>
> (I have no idea if this can be implemented since it requires looking at the
> associations in other diagrams.)

Jonathan: I am sorry, but I think you are totally wrong here =(
ok, you are right in that if we wanted to implement this *now* we would have
to look into other diagrams to see what other associations a class has....

BUT (and that's a *big* BUT) Associations are NOT part of the diagrams, but of
the models.
A Class inherits from another class, and a class is an agregate of another
class.. you can show this in a diagram or not, but that doesnt change
anything in the model.

the problem is that the code now is *completly* wrong here. The associations
are implemented as if they were valid only for one diagram, but this is not
the case.
I complained about this sine I first looked into the program and started
writing the code generation framework (I think my original comments are now
gone, but I wrote there that having to get the associations from the diagram
was absurd to me, and that we were going to have problems if a class has
different associations in different diagrams, and that the associations
should be into the model itself.

luis.