[Uml-devel] Patch implementing classifier scope

tomas.walch at se.transport.bombardier.com tomas.walch at se.transport.bombardier.com
Wed Oct 16 06:30:03 UTC 2002

Hi all!

I needed to display some operations with classifier scope ("static") so I made
this hack (that's how open source development is supposed to work, right?).
Please try it out and if OK the happy users of Umbrello will also be able to
display their attributes and operations undelined. I didn't really know what to
write in the dialogs so if it looks ugly please change it. The thing is that
visibility (public,protected or private) is mistakenly refered to as scope
throughout the code, whereas scope in UML really is about instance (object) or
classifier (static) scope. Which leads me to Andys points about reworking the
object model to mirror the UML standard, which I think is a very good idea
indeed. The current model has unfortunately too many flaws to constitute a
feasible code base in the long run. And though I haven't (yet) looked at the
model from the standard, the bare fact that it's there for us to use implies to
me that we should. It would make the program more flexible and just as important
it would decrease the learning curve for future generations of umbrello
maintainers.

/Tomas Walch.

P:S. If there is any problems with the patch it might be because I only have
Solaris diff instead of GNU diff, if so tell me and I'll try some other flags.
And yes, I haven't added anything to the parsing/generation, so scope is quietly
ignored there for now...

(See attached file: classifierscope.patch)