[Uml-devel] Re: [Uml-user] File import

Luis De la Parra lparrab at gmx.net
Sun Oct 13 15:36:02 UTC 2002

On Sunday 13 October 2002 01:52, Jens Krüger wrote:
> I checked it out and had a deeper look into the code. I saw the same
> problems, I had in my solution. The lost associations I think is the

yes... I know losing associations is not an options. I mean, its one of the
most important parts of the diagrams, so we cant afford to loose them.

> I think it must be
> possible to import the old uml files directly and got as much as possible
> information from the imported file.

before I started with the filter I did a quick try to get umbrello to read
files v4 directly, but after a while I just gave up. Because of all the
internal changes in Umbrello since v4 I think this would require more effort

> From my point of view and from a point of the users I prefer a solution
> which restore the old model completely.

so do I. I dont intend to loose information just for the heck of it. Of course
if we can restore *all* the info we will do so. Associations are one thing
that we *must* restore for the import to be acceptable, but if we cannot
restore some other info (like the folders in the listView) or if the cost is
to hight, then I'm sorry.

> What do you think about the idea to rewrite your program to convert the uml
> files of version 5 directly to XML files?.

I think is not worth the effort...

Jens, coud you send me again your patch? I somehow didnt get it.

thanx.

luis.