[Uml-devel] Re: [Uml-user] File import

Jens Krüger je.krueger at web.de
Sat Oct 12 15:57:03 UTC 2002

Am Mittwoch, 9. Oktober 2002 18:57 schrieb Luis De la Parra:
> > As I understood you wrote a external filter to convert the data of file
> > versions 1-4 into a file of version 5? Is this right?
>
> yes, this is right.
>
> > My idea was, ignore all code of reading and writing the files of version
> > 5. Instead I want to change the code in that way, It could read the
> > binary files direct into the new system. It was clear for me, that we
> > mostly have files of version 4, so I can concentrate my activies on this
> > version. If I remember right, the problem widget/wigetData vs. widget is
> > no general problem, the problems are lying in the details. There are a
> > lot of changes in parameters (add/remove/change) to each UMLObject, so we
> > have to find out, how to set this parameters in a right default value.
>
> I dont know how much time after switching to file version 5 the XML code
> was implemented, so no idea if there are many users using this file format.
>
> Setting a default value for new attributes is no problem (an has to be done
> with the filter-approach as well). We just have to see whats the default in
> the current version of the program and do the same (colors, etc)
>
> > Over the weekend I didn't anything in this part, because I want to wait
> > your answer to my proposal. If your are interested in my parts of code
> > you may get it as a patch against  current cvs. On the other side I'm
> > interested in your parts of code to test it and to see, how can we solve
> > the import problem.
>
> do you have something working?  since my changes to the program are so
> small I felt free to commit them already, you can check them there
> (umldoc.cpp) I also added the filter to the repository so that it can be
> tested... If then we decide we dont need it we can remove the filter, I
> didnt add it to the kdevelop project or anything so it doesnt mess anything
> up...
> ->has to be compiled separatly:
> g++ -lqt -L/usr/lib/qt3/lib/ -I/usr/lib/qt3/include/ -oumlfilter filter.cpp
> should do the trick.
> then just
> $umlfilter <filev4>
>
> > Let's start to finish this job.
>
> did some tests with the file Jonathan sent me and more or less works, ok.
> It uses very stupid defaults now (color blue with red, show grid, etc) but
> this is only for testing.
> Some information is lost, especially, I havent translated asociations yet
> (ie, all asociations are lost in the conversion) but this shouldnt be too
> dificult to do.
> Another thing that gets lost is the folders in the listView (ie, after
> importing the file are objects and diagrams are in the default folders) but
> I dont think this is *too* bad, and this would require quite some effort to
> translate, I think, so I dont want to wast my time on it.

Hi Luis,

I checked it out and had a deeper look into the code. I saw the same problems,
I had in my solution. The lost associations I think is the greatest problem.
Imagine, you have created a large project , i.e. Jonathan made it for his
diagram of umbrello itself. If you import it into the current version you
lost all informations about the associations and have to restore these
manually. I think this would not be accepted by the user. With the help of
the conversion tool we have no chance to restore the informations. Wie need
the help of umbrello itself. I think it must be possible to import the old
uml files directly and got as much as possible information from the imported
file.

>From my point of view and from a point of the users I prefer a solution which
restore the old model completely.

In the attached patch you may find a change of the Makefile.am in the uml root
dir to build your conversion program.

What do you think about the idea to rewrite your program to convert the uml
files of version 5 directly to XML files?.

Regards

Jens

> check it out and tell me what you think.
>
> regards,
>
> luis.
>
> ps. Jens: if you have something working you can send me your pattch to
> check it out. Maybe after testing the filter you can tell me which option
> you find better.

I send my work as a patch to the mailing list. Please try it to. I reduced the
import to the version 4 of files. If there some problems with older files. We
should add this.