[Uml-devel] Re: [Uml-user] File import

Jens Krüger je.krueger at web.de
Mon Oct 7 23:54:05 UTC 2002

Hi Luis,
Am Montag, 7. Oktober 2002 21:27 schrieb Luis De la Parra:
> Hi Jens,

<snip>

Ok, I agreed with you, to ignore the code for generating binary files of
version 5 and the remove this code.

> anyways, here is what I think:
> The code for reading binary files ver. 5 is already there (there is also
> the code for writing, but we should just ignore it (at first, and then
> remove it complety) that means, the only file format available to save is
> xml.

As I understood you wrote a external filter to convert the data of file
versions 1-4 into a file of version 5? Is this right?

My idea was, ignore all code of reading and writing the files of version 5.
Instead I want to change the code in that way, It could read the binary files
direct into the new system. It was clear for me, that we mostly have files of
version 4, so I can concentrate my activies on this version. If I remember
right, the problem widget/wigetData vs. widget is no general problem, the
problems are lying in the details. There are a lot of changes in parameters
(add/remove/change) to each UMLObject, so we have to find out, how to set
this parameters in a right default value.

> I had started writing a "filter" which transforms files 1-4 into version 5,
> so that the program can read them but I started having problems with the
> widgets (how ver. 5 uses widget / widgetData and ver. 4 uses only widget)
> anyway.. I think this shouldnt be too dificult to solve.

Over the weekend I didn't anything in this part, because I want to wait your
answer to my proposal. If your are interested in my parts of code you may get
it as a patch against  current cvs. On the other side I'm interested in your
parts of code to test it and to see, how can we solve the import problem.

> what do you think? have you done something over the weekend? this is
> something that I am doing because I think it is important to show the users
> they are not going to loose (much) work just because we changed the
> program...otherwise they are not going to want to use the program for "big"
> things.., but that's the only reason, I mean, its not just for fun or
> because I need it, so I wouldnt like to code something you already did =)

Let's start to finish this job.

Jens.