[Uml-devel] Before releasing umbrello 1.1...

Sebastian Stein s5228 at informatik.htw-dresden.de
Sat Nov 23 13:04:03 UTC 2002

P. Fleury <fleury at users.sourceforge.net> [021123 21:39]:
> Note: the length of this discussion is not related to its importance or
> level of urgency :-)

;-)

> NetSaint was being developed by a guy, and when it reached the level of
> maturity and user base, a company claimed that they had the names
> registered. They had not registered the name NetSaint, but similar ones
> with 'saint' in it. Though this ended up in no real legal battle, it put
> enough pressure  on the guy developing it, and eventually forced him to
> change the name to avoid the hassle.
> The full story is written by himself here:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=541144&forum_id=8071
>
> He changed the name, and registered it (it's now 'nagios'). This gives
> at least some legal timestamp for knowing who is the owner of a name,
> and it also makes sure there are no obvious similitudes with other names
> in the same kind of service (a chocolate brand named Umbrello will
> probably be accepted). It will probably be of no use against MS or IBM,
> though...
>
> Just a thought for those having their name in full letters on the web
> page :-)

Hhm, but it is another problem. If we created an UML app called Irrational,
we could be blamed by Rational. But I checked google and other ressources
and there is no PC software called Umbrello. So we have now the oldest
rights.

Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation
Homepage        : http://uml.sourceforge.net/
Bug report      : http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=24919&atid=382951
Feature request : http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=24919&atid=382954