[Uml-devel] German translation -> to all Sauerkrauts ;-)

Luis De la Parra Blum lparrab at gmx.net
Wed Nov 20 17:22:04 UTC 2002

> >>Feature request: it would be nice if one could use the English terms
> >>although the default language is configured to be German.
> >this is not possible.
> There would be a method: what it there now is a translation to 'de',
> default (in source) is 'en-US' and the version with UML names in English
> but GUI in German could be something like 'de-UML'. That would meant an
> entire new .po file.

ok, it *could* be possible... if someone really wants to get away with that he
could even make up a new language "de-en", but this is would not be the right
thing to do.
the "en-US" means "english for USA".
for spanish, there are "es-ES" (spanish for Spain) and "es-MX" (spanish for
Mexico). I mean, if I see a UI in es-ES I can understand it, but somthings
just sound.. well..... funny, because we use different words for some things
in Mexico.  the same with "color" vS. "colour" in USA vS Rest-of-the-world
english.

so, that's why there is a language *AND* a country code.
making something like "de-UML" would be against all rules (since there is no
country called UML)... as I said, of course it is doable, but I say we
shouldnt even think about it. either we transalte the UML names or we dont.

... or, the only one option that could be valid is to have "german for
Germany" and "german for Austria" and in one tranlate the names and in other
not..  here you would at least have the excuse of saying "I thought in
Austria they use the English names"  =))

salud!

luis.