[Uml-devel] Re: Umbrello design (was UML XML tree viewer)

Sebastian Stein s5228 at informatik.htw-dresden.de
Mon Nov 11 09:46:43 UTC 2002

Andrew Sutton <ansutton at kent.edu> [021108 16:28]:
> > wait a sec!, this seems to be the first point we need to clear...
> > do we want Umbrello to be a "universal Modeling tool" or do we want it to
> > be a "UML Modeling tool" ??
> > And... if the answer is to go for the whole thing, then, do we want to do
> > it all in one step, or first get UML and then "generalize" it untill we get
> > MOF?
>
> ah. therein lies the proble, johnny :) actually, a truly compliant UML
> implementation will include MOF. the real question is: do we design for
> generality or do we design for specifically for UML? in my thinking, UML is
> just another (albeit quite complex) modeling language - and we have other
> metamodels to work with: particularly CWM.

But couldn't we separate the work in such pieces that:

a) everybody could follow understand the development
b) get quick small but motivating results

Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation
Homepage        : http://uml.sourceforge.net/
Bug report      : http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=24919&atid=382951
Feature request : http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=24919&atid=382954