[Uml-devel] Re: Umbrello design (was UML XML tree viewer)

Andrew Sutton ansutton at kent.edu
Wed Nov 6 23:23:01 UTC 2002

> >its alot of work. but, it pays off. if you want to build a UML model,
> > umbrello
>
> Yes,  it's a lot of work, but it's no more work than if we put it all
> into the UML:: classes :-) All that code will have top be code-generated
> anyway (either by a codegen library or a human-kind of code-gen...)

that's what i was thinking :) its sounds like people are starting to get on
the same page. that's really good. soon, we'll have to start thinking about
implementing.

> Andrew: for your web-page at Kent, you could easily add the sentence
> "best viewed with any browser ":-)

you like that, huh? i've always been known for my web development skillz. i'll
have the next iteration up.

somewhat unrelated
----------------

it turns out that OMG went nuts and defined a meta object description language
(i'm not kidding either). its called (go figure) MODL and its used to
describe, guess what? MOF. guess what's not described in that language. UML.
don't know why.

now there's something really interesting to work with. what if our
MOF_bootsrap actually just compiled this file and generated the MOF code?
wouldn't that be interesting?

anyway, if you do a web search, you won't be able to find anything about it. i
didn't. here's the specification though. i really think you guys will like
this. there's something very, very concrete about it.

andy