[Uml-devel] CVS requires branching

Gustavo Madrigal linux_news at nextphere.com
Sat May 25 13:12:03 UTC 2002

Hi,

I haven't gotten time for making a file loading/saving patch, I think I will
be able to do it this sunday.

I think we have a little problem with the way CVS is being managed, If we
want to stabilize the uml for a release, we cannot stop new feature
development. As an example my friend Cesar has a patch for bare
state/activity diagram support and he doesn't know what is going to happen
with it before release date, as time goes by it will be harder for him to
apply the patch.

I suggest we create a new branch release 1.1 (or some other version) to work
on stability and then keep adding new features to the main(development)
branch as in figure below. If a bug is fixed in the release branch then it
needs to be fixed in the main branch. After releasing if a bug is fixed, a
patch can be created against the release branch and published at sourceforge.
As an example of this, a few weeks ago I fixed a bug "Galina A. Fyodorova"
<fga at infolada.com> reported about uml v1.0.3 not supporting russian names for
umlobjects and umlviews; I fixed the problem into CVS but I couldn't make a
patch against v1.0.3, so I really didn't help that person.

CVS Structure:
                       				  /Release 1.1
					/
Devel Branch                                        /
                                \
                                 \Release 1.0.3

Regards,

P. Eng. Gustavo Madrigal