[Uml-devel] Hi guys - I'm back!!

Gustavo Madrigal linux_news at nextphere.com
Tue May 14 12:18:05 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 14 May 2002 12:47, Gustavo Madrigal wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 May 2002 02:33, Peeter Russak wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Nice to hear you're back, Paul:) I really hardly considered forking
> > the project this weekend but gave it couple more days:)
> > Could you add me (user 'pezz74') to the project developers list, please?
> >
> > I played again with code last weekend and found some problems:
> >
> > a) KDevelop's texteditor's poor functionality still keeps me away
> > from it so I used vim and it's a really horrible how it looks like
> > when tabs and spaces are used at the same time. I happen to have
> > human brain not robot's so goodlooking code is a mustbe to me to
> > understand it. I hope that not very much people disagree that tabs
> > are better than spaces for indentation so I suggest everyone to set
> > KDevelop not to replace tabs with spaces and tab length 8. I will
> > do some bigger indentization work when I get access to repository.
> > Another bad is that different codingstyles are used mixed. Gustavo
> > likes to use C at the beginning of classnames like CMyFineClass, but
> > I think it's just another byte-wasting innovation of M$ and MyFineClass
> > is not better or worse than CMyFineClass. There's another mess with
> > variable names. Good style says that class members are prefixed with
> > m_ or _ (like m_name or _name) to differ them from normal variables.
> > m_name looks better to me so I propose to use this schema for member
> > variables and _not_ for parameters and other variables. Sure I can
> > write endlessly cleanup patches but using consistent good coding styles
> > is good for everyone. I've seen too much ugly code already so please
> > save me:))
>
> I agree with you, we need an uniform coding style, I can get rid of the
> starting C for class names no problem. I also like to start member
> variables with m_ . I think it would be useful to differenciate parameter
> variables from function local variables, for this I propose to start
> parameter names in capital (i.e. Parameter instead of parameter) and start
> local variables in small caps. Another thing I don't like about the code is
> the use of regular C-style casts, I think is better to switch to C++-style
> casts (static_cast, dynamic_cast, etc).
> About indentation, I agree in setting KDevelop not to replace tabs with
> spaces but I think 5 is a better tab length.
> I think we should have something like coding_style.txt in CVS.
>
> To modify the actual code is it possible to use a C++ code beautifier? If
> so which one?

This looks like a good option: http://astyle.sourceforge.net
It supports several predifined styles: ansi, gnu, linux, java, etc.
It also supports style definition in a file (.astylerc), so maybe we can
define one and put that file in CVS.

Regards,

P. Eng. Gustavo Madrigal
Technology Research Department Manager
Nextphere Corp.
	Are you ready for the Next Business Sphere?
http://www.nextphere.com