[Uml-devel] Hi guys - I'm back!!

Peeter Russak pezz at tkwcy.ee
Tue May 14 01:35:02 UTC 2002

Hi,

Nice to hear you're back, Paul:) I really hardly considered forking
the project this weekend but gave it couple more days:)
Could you add me (user 'pezz74') to the project developers list, please?

I played again with code last weekend and found some problems:

a) KDevelop's texteditor's poor functionality still keeps me away
from it so I used vim and it's a really horrible how it looks like
when tabs and spaces are used at the same time. I happen to have
human brain not robot's so goodlooking code is a mustbe to me to
understand it. I hope that not very much people disagree that tabs
are better than spaces for indentation so I suggest everyone to set
KDevelop not to replace tabs with spaces and tab length 8. I will
do some bigger indentization work when I get access to repository.
Another bad is that different codingstyles are used mixed. Gustavo
likes to use C at the beginning of classnames like CMyFineClass, but
I think it's just another byte-wasting innovation of M$ and MyFineClass
is not better or worse than CMyFineClass. There's another mess with
variable names. Good style says that class members are prefixed with
m_ or _ (like m_name or _name) to differ them from normal variables.
m_name looks better to me so I propose to use this schema for member
variables and _not_ for parameters and other variables. Sure I can
write endlessly cleanup patches but using consistent good coding styles
is good for everyone. I've seen too much ugly code already so please
save me:))

b) I met a strange error that I couldn't find reason but would be glad
if someone could fix/explain. When I create makefiles with configure
from CVS everything compiles fine but after creating new configure
using make -f Makefile.cvs linking fails with messages that it doesn't
find Association's virtual methods in association.moc.cpp.

c) What's the difference between ObjectWidget and ConceptWidget?
UML classes are misnamed Concepts in umltool (why?) and I think this
is the reason why there's two classes for the same thing. Merging those
two and renaming Concept* to Class* should make code much understandable.
If noone has good explanation for these two I'll merge them.

--
Peeter