[Uml-devel] Project coordination

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Fri Jul 19 01:08:03 UTC 2002

Hi all,

on Friday 19 July 2002 09:46, Luis De la Parra wrote:

> > How do you guys announce changes on the CVS tree anyway? Is there some
> > automatism or do you do it manually here on the list? Just curious.
>
> I think we are having a serious organizational problem here. It seems no
> one knows who is doing what, and cvs is really a mess.
> Since I cant write to cvs and wont have internet access from home for the
> next 4 weeks I've been sending all my code to paul so that he could put it
> into cvs, but I dont remember seeing any mail telling someone has modified
> some code, so I have no idea what the status of the cvs code is right now.
>
> is there a way to set SF to notify to the list automatically when cvs gets
> updated? (paul??) if yes, we need to turn it on. if no, it'd be nice to
> know who has write access to cvs, and those people should commit themselves
> to notify on the list the changes they make / apply. That why we all know
> what to expect when downloading cvs.

There's a mechanism provided by SF directly. Docs on installation are hosted
here:

http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=772&group_id=1#top

I installed a different automatism for the kmymoney2 project. It's a PERL
based script which basically does the same as the SF script and get's
installed the same way. If you want to know how it works, please check

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/kmymoney2/CVSROOT/cvs-log?rev=1.2

and

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/kmymoney2/CVSROOT/loginfo?rev=1.4

If you want to have some more general rules on how to interact with the CVS
repository, please feel free to have a look at the project handbook of the
kmymoney2 project. You find an online copy here:

http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/phb/index.html

and it's also available as PDF for those w/o internet access at home :-(

http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/phb/phb.pdf

If you have questions or any comments about this document, please feel free to
contact me. If you think that this document is valuable for the uml project,
please feel free to use/adapt it for your work. I'd love to see it used by
another project.

> paul: you said you wanted to pass on project coordination. is this still
> the case? who is now guiding uml?
>
> I still have my copy of cvs which I sent to paul a few days ago (file name
> uml-luis2.tar.bzw) that file fixed the line terminator problems, fixed the
> code generator problems and added a couple of new features (Esc and Shift)
> ) but I dont really know if that code ever made it to CVS or if Paul's
> crash happened before that.
>
> Anyways.. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but I think this is what
> should happen:
> The "coordinator" should temporarly block cvs, and then get a fresh copy
> from it.
> I can send him my file and he can compare / merge the files.
> Anyone else who has done some code and is not sure it made it to cvs does
> the same (send it to the coordinator)
> the coordinator tests that everything is working (should build and install
> without any problems) if this is the case, he makes a distclean, removes
> Makefile.in, configure, and all other files that are automatically
> generated and then cleans cvs (copy the whole repository to a back up
> place) and does a new, fresh import with the fixed code.
>
> From this point on, people writing to cvs must notify changes to the list
> (should not take too long to write a two lines email) and take care not to
> add files which should not be in cvs, like Makefiles and the such. Those
> should be generated locally and shold stay local.
>
> what to do you think? who is going to do it? I know we all dont have too
> much time, so it will probably mean to suspend things for a couple of days,
> but I think it's worth it.
> I dont think I can do it because I dont have cvs / internet access at home,
> but if no one else can /wants, you can send me your files per email, I'll
> put them together and then send it to someone with cvs access who would
> only need to backup cvs, delete everything and make a fresh import.
> There was a volunteer to take over project coordination. Do you think you
> can do it? Paul?
>
> regards,
>
> Luis

- --

Regards

Thomas Baumgart

home: thb at net-bembel.de              WWW: http://www.net-bembel.de/
Check the KMyMoney2 open source project at http://kmymoney2.sf.net/

public key available at http//www.keyserver.net under thb at net-bembel.de
GPG-FP:  E55E D592 F45F 116B 8429   4F99 9C59 DB40 B75D D3BA
A crash turns an expensive computer into a simple stone!