[Uml-devel] Ada code generator for umbrello

Luis De la Parra Blum lparrab at gmx.net
Wed Dec 18 17:21:08 UTC 2002

Hi Oliver!

Thanks for your mail, and sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I'm on
vacations and the last few days I've been going out all night (and sleeping
all day!).

Of course I'm (we're) interested in your code! I must confess that my
knowledge of Ada is null, but it's always nice to have support for more
languages.

Unfortunately I don't think Ada generation is going to make it into 1.1, but
when you consider your code is usable we can put it in a separate library and
offer it as a separate plug in in our page so that people who already got 1.1
can get it (you can have several libraries for the generators). Then we can
put it into the "official" codegen library that is distributed with Umbrello
(if you agree) so that for the next version we have only one lib.

I know associations really suck, but they were implemented that way before I
came to the project, and changing them would have broken a lot of things, so
we decided to leave them like that.
There's been a lot of discussion about it in the list, and of course we are
going to fix that, but it won't be untill the next major version.

to your question about KInstance: (from the KLibFactory documentation):
---
This KInstance is comparable to KGlobal used by normal applications. It allows
you to find resource files (images, XML, sound etc.) belonging to the
library.
---

since we don't use any external resources from within the library maybe we
*coud* get away without it (I dont really know, just guessing) but since we
are using KLibLoader and friends, I think it's a good idea to do things the
way they're supposed to be.

To your othe comment:
I dont know what SANS_KDE is (but I imagine it). but when I wrote that code I
tried to make it as independent as possible. I use KLibLoader and factory for
commodity(???) only, but it should be pretty easy to get rid of those and use
libtool and lower APIs directly, removing all dependency on KDE, but right
now I don't see the need to do that.

I'm CCing the list and attaching your mail (to give you propper credit for the
generaor)

Thanks again,

Saludos,
Luis