[Uml-devel] Usability

P. Fleury fleury at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Nov 18 17:20:02 UTC 2001

Hi Paul !

For your information, I have also been playing with your code a little
bit. My first exercice to get used to KDevelop, your code and C++ again
(have done Java for quite a long time now...) has been to implement a
proper DragUMLObject so that when drag-n-drop is used from a UMLObject
onto something that can actually use it, it works (I used MIME type
application/x-uml). But it does not put the text (your string-packaged
object ID) into a text box (which your version does...). I also have
created a little class which gets the object type and id in the
constructor and mangles this into something we can use within the DnD.
This removes all the parsing code, found in a few places for DnD, and
groups it into one single place. And as the scheme is now only within
this class, I have simplified it a bit (type and id no longer human
readable, and fixed positions, make it straight forward). There is a
toString() methjod, so you can still print it for debugging purpose :-)

I have also tried to convert the content of ot.h into some classes,
trying to abstract the decision code you have in a lot of places.
I think it would be easier to extend the program if we have an object
and can then ask this object something like
object.canContain(otherObject) and it would return true if the first is
a graph and the other one an object, with the constraints for use cases
of course. If new objects are used (new UML graph type added), this
would be easier to maintain. However, your constants are use all over
the place, and quite a few of them have uses in different semantic
contexts (either as type marker, menu index, etc.)...

As you are currently not actively working on this (which will change in
the future, as you tell us !) I did not go forward in changing tons of
places, just to see that you have also changed a lot of things in the
next version...

I also have been looking in making uml a Koffice part, but I only got
the documentation to make it a KPart. Making it a KPart should not be a
too big task, and Kopart , well I don't know. But it would be nice
(currently the copy/paste works fine, but KWord can insert pictures only
in float, so it appears at random places in the document and it is a bit
a pain to fetch it and put it in the right position in the text. So it
is not really a uml problem :-)

Anyhow, if you are interested, I can give you a patch after you have
released the next version (I will "port" my changes to the new version).

Thanks for bringing us this tool. I have tried to use kivio, just to
almost immediately switch back to uml. You would just need to support
stylesheets, and you have your own kivio !

Pascal