Updating ISBN codes in Tellico

José Marcio Martins da Cruz jose.marcio.mc at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 18:33:11 GMT 2021

Hello,

Thanks a lot for working on tellico. I use it to manage my books : something like 2000 paper books.

I'd like to know what's the logic of inserting dashes (-) at ISBN codes (where).

Here is the problem I'm trying to solve :

At some point I made a configuration mistake which converted some of my ISBN-13 codes into ISBN-10 when I updated data
from some sources. It's OK now but I have now something like 200 books with ISBN-10 and I'd like to convert them to ISBN-13.

I know how to convert ISBN-10 to ISBN-13, with a little python code I wrote, but without dashes. E.g., I can convert :

	2-07-029337-8 into 9782070293377

Now, what I've done to correct my library was :
* unzip the xxx.tc file to get the tellico.xml
* replace ISBN-10 by ISBN-13 code (a python script does this)
* zip again the tellico.xml file to get back the xxx.tc file.

But this doesn't work because Tellico doesn't add dashes to the replacements and there are other side problems (e.g.,
lost of cover images).

Maybe there is an easier way to solve this.

Doing the replacement by hand isn't a real problem to me. - it's just 200 records. I'm already did it for 50 records.

But I'm curious about an eventually easier way to do this and how to solve the problem of ISBN-10 to ISBN-13 codes.

Again, thanks for Tellico.

Best regards

José-Marcio