Hello! (and <image> tag/string question)

Robby Stephenson robby at periapsis.org
Thu May 14 01:38:25 BST 2020

Hi!

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 6:30 PM Fuzzy <tuser at fuzzyjazz.com> wrote:

> I just joined the list, so please forgive any breach in protocol.
>
> First...thanks for Tellico.  I love it.

Thanks! Glad you like it. No protocol here, happy to help anyone who's
using Tellico.

> The first thing I realized was: Tellico files aren’t SQL database files.
> Then I realized they are basically XML files (correct me if I’ve missed any
> nuance here...I really don’t know what I’m doing).

Yes, they're XML files, usually zipped, though they don't have to be. You
can use the Export menu to get them as a .zip file with the images included.

> Well, after spending a full 24 hours learning about xml and xsl, I finally
> was able to successfully port the data I wanted from my tellico.tc file
> into the format I wanted...all except the “image” data.  (In this case the
> CD cover is contained within the .tc/xml file as a string?)  I haven’t been
> able to figure out how to turn that string back into an image (I’m simply
> trying to have xsl export the image as an url(“background.jpeg”) type of
> thing into my formatted output.)  xsl correctly grabs the proper
> “whateverrandomcharacters.jpeg” filename, but I don’t know how to convert
> the actual image string back into a jpeg.

Depending on your settings within the app, the images can either be saved
within the XML file, as base64 encoded data (which isn't recommended since
it makes the files rather large), as image files in the same directory as
the .tc file (_files used for the directory name) or in a common directory
in the user's folder.  For the latter, the location is likely to be
$HOME/.local/share/tellico/data/ and the image filename is what it is in
the Tellico file. So just concatenate the file path with the image name.

Depending on your workflow, you can use unzip and xsltproc to automate
things. A few past discussions might be helpful:
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=200&t=137533
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/tellico-users/2018-October/001402.html