TheGamesDB.net

Jared Breland jbreland at legroom.net
Tue Jan 7 17:55:37 GMT 2020

"Robby Stephenson" robby at periapsis.org – January 7, 2020 7:28 AM

> My test searches successfully include Genre, Publisher, and Developer. Let me know an example that doesn't work and I'll poke at it. Which version of Tellico are you using? Tellico also tries to cache that data to avoid overloading the search API too much, I can check if there might be a bug there.

Huh. I'm using 3.2.3. Tried with a few random games for different platforms. If I recall correctly, Bit.Trip Saga, Kirby's Dream Course, and Uncharted 2. All failed to populate those fields. Can't think of what I'd be doing differently than you. Any ideas, or suggestions on how to better troubleshoot?

> There's no way to change it right now. But that's definitely a reasonable request. The challenge lies in the fact that a the different game data sources aren't all consistent themselves, so the internal heuristic forces a normalization (which itself can be error-prone) of the platform name. You could edit the source code, of course, but I'd have to think about a different way of mapping the source data to the internal values.

Yeah, I can understand that. I actually have looked at the source and found where (I believe) that normalization is occurring. I really don't want to resort to that, though, for obvious reasons.

Just spitballing here... it looks like you already store a list of fields and associated values, restrictions, etc. with each collection. A relatively easy (says the non-developer) way I think that could be added, if a little clunky, could be to an additional field allowing the ability to map built-in platform names to preferred platform names, then, with scraping, you use the internal logic to map., eg., whatever thegamesdb.com calls PS3 to Tellico's internal name for PS3, than add an extra step to map that to the preferred name if that mapping is defined

Actually, I just noticed that you have an option for setting additional key/value properties for each field. I'm not sure what you'd typically use that for, but that could be a really easy way to permit users to create that mapping without introducing new UI elements.

Again, just spitballing. If you think that feature is worth pursuing then I'd love to see it. If it's a pain and I'm the only one asking, then it's obviously not worth spending much time on. Appreciate the feedback and consideration either way, and hope you'll at least help me figure out what's going on with the that first issue. Custom platform names I can do without, but I'd really like to get that additional data included.

Thanks!

--

Jared