Feature Requests

Robby Stephenson robby at periapsis.org
Wed May 30 01:40:56 UTC 2018

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 2:19 PM, J. Allen Crider <
software-eng at cridermcdowellfamily.com> wrote:

> I've added over 2000 albums to my music collection in Tellico so far and
> have a couple of ideas for features that I would like to see added.

Thanks! I always appreciate hearing suggestions.

> 1.  I have a lot of multi-disc sets that I prefer to store as a single
> album.  If I can find the album in MusicBrainz, it is often the way I want
> it, but if I use "Import Audio CD Data...", the only thing I've found that
> works is to import the first disc and then manually add the tracks for all
> other discs.  A way to merge entries to add all of the tracks from one
> album to another would be very useful.

One workaround, albeit still inconvenient, would be to import the data from
both discs as separate entries, then in the second disc, create empty rows
in the track list matching the number of the tracks in disc 1. Then select
disc 1 first, drag to select disc 2 (or shift-click), then right-click and
select merge. If all the other properties match, then Tellico will merge
the track list.

> 2.  I sometimes take the time to use K3b to rip CDs as I am adding them to
> Tellico.  It works well if the online CDDB database used by both
> applications has the album.  But if the album is not in that database or if
> the information in that database isn't accurate (lots of typos, etc.), I
> have to edit the information in both applications to accomplish what I
> want.  K3b does have the capability of saving the edited information to
> locally (in ~/.cddb) and sometimes it retrieves that data instead of the
> online data if the CD is reloaded.  It would be real nice if Tellico could
> load that local copy when importing CDs and/or if Tellico could export CD
> information for use in K3b.

Tellico uses KCDDB to retrieve cddb data, and the KCDDB system settings
include the cache data location. If that's set properly, then Tellico
should read the local data before doing a remote retrieval. It sounds like
that's not what you're observing.

In the "Import Audio CD Data" dialog, there's also the option to import ALL
the local data. But that's overkill.