Parser error : Content error in the external subset

Robby Stephenson robby at periapsis.org
Tue May 23 00:55:04 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 3:54 PM, Mathew Newton <mathew at newtonnet.co.uk>
wrote:

> I have been using the following command to create a HTML page from my
> Tellico (v2.3.9+dfsg.1-1ubuntu2) data file without issue for some time now:
>
> unzip -p DVD_Library.tc tellico.xml | xsltproc My_Columns.xsl - >
> default.htm
>
> However, recently (within the last few weeks?), I am getting the following
> error output:
>
> ---
> http://periapsis.org/:1: parser error : Content error in the external
> subset
> ^
> unable to parse -
> ---

Add --novalid

 unzip -p DVD_Library.tc tellico.xml | xsltproc --novalid My_Columns.xsl -

..and that the http://periapsis.org URL referenced is currently unreachable:

> ---
> This site is currently under maintenance. If you are the site owner,
> please contact Alpha Hosting with any questions.
> ---
>
> It is probably obvious to those in the know, but would I be right in
> thinking that the unreachable URL is key to my problem?

That does appear to be the issue. I'm a bit surprised that xsltproc does a
network check on the DTD by default. I never knew that. But yes, my
personal website is down at the moment since I was moving some things
around. I didn't realize that would cause any xsltproc runs to fail, but
the "--novalid" flag does short-circuit that check.

Thanks for asking, I learned something!