[Tellico-users] Several Issues

Bill Gee bgee at campercaver.net
Sun Jan 3 16:03:00 UTC 2016

Hello everyone -

I am in complete agreement with Peter on these points!  I have a few
observations of my own to add.

Item A - I also run Fedora 23 and Tellico version 2.3.10.  On my system the
option to Import Audio CD Data is greyed out.   I mentioned it a while back and
was told it was probably disabled by the packager.  Since then I have not missed
it much, certainly not enough to pursue it.  If Peter DOES have the function
available, then it seems it is not a problem with the packaging.  Something else
has caused it to go away for me.

Back when it did work, I found Tellico would almost always crash when trying to
import data from an SACD Hybrid, especially disks from Pentatone Classics.  It
got so bad I stopped even trying.  Tellico should NEVER crash when trying to
import data.  It should have some sane method of handling errors during the
import process.

As Peter observes, the data from MusicBrainz is extremely noisy.  FreeDB et.al.
are probably even worse.

Item D - When "Import Audio CD Data" worked, I had the same problem as Peter.
I could never find the item I just imported!  Now that the function is not available,

For classical music I don't even bother trying to look things up online.  I just type
it in.  For popular music I use the Search function.  It usually comes up with
something reasonably close to usable.  Once I import it, I immediately hit Ctrl-E
to edit.

On my system the Artist field allows multiple values separated by semi-colons.  I
have a Composer field, and I also have Conductor and Ensemble fields.  It's
been long enough that I don't remember if these fields came with the basic
Tellico music collection or if I added them as custom fields.  In any event they
are not multi-valued fields.  Looking through the Fields menu of Tellico, it
appears to be easy to make them multi-valued.

Item F - I also store most of my music on a server share.  Most of it is in Tellico
before ripping, so I don't have to import the tags.  On the few occasions when I
did, it just worked.

There is a disconnect between what is allowed in ID3 tags and what Tellico
allows.  The one that bothers me most is the Artist field.  In a music file the
Artist field cannot have multiple values.  In theory this is allowed, but in practice I
have never found player software that properly recognizes the values.  For this
reason importing direct from ID3 tags to Tellico seems rather pointless.

Bill Gee