[Tellico-users] Bug: Google Scholar Fetcher

Robby Stephenson robby at periapsis.org
Fri Nov 8 15:31:31 UTC 2013

On 11/08/2013 05:25 AM, anubis anubis wrote:
> I have some troubles with the google scholar fetcher. When fetching info
> for more than 50 entries (usually), google asks for a capatcha
> verification. Then the fetcher will fail for any other next entry.
> The fix would be to ask the user to fill capatcha when google asks for it.

Heh, I think you're probably pushing the edge of the updater function if
you're asking to update more than 50 entries at a time! :) It's a poorly
written brute-force loop to update those. Some of the data sources have
access limits (queries per minutes, queries per day, etc.) that you
could hit. I didn't even know about the Google captcha. I'll see if I
can figure out a way to pass that on to the user, though...

> Also, when updating more than one entry, sometimes tellico asks us to
> choose which entry is better (when more than one entry is returned by
> the fetcher). The dialog is shown every time this happens, and the
> fetching is stopped. This is annoying when there are many entries
> (hundreds). The solution would be to either not stop the fetching, or to
> show all these dialogs at the end.

Hundreds??? Yikes! :)

> Finally, when fetching info for a entry fails, it would be nice to
> inform the user what happened.

Usually, if the data source returns a readable error, Tellico tries to
pass it on. Updates are treated differently than initial searches,
though, so I can check that.

Thanks!