[Tellico-users] Re: run tellico with remote file

Robby Stephenson robby at periapsis.org
Tue Mar 22 04:54:11 UTC 2011

On Monday 21 March 2011, Peter Alcibiades wrote:
> We want to run tellico on a file which is not on the local machine but on
> a server.  The reason is its in a kiosk environment and we want to avoid
> having the file itself exposed to accidents including theft of the local
> machine.  We will be running fedora, using pessulus to lock the system
> down. Its a catalogue of copyrighted graphics, we will thumbnail them,
> so they can be viewed full size in the image viewer, but we have to be
> seen to have taken proper precautions against copying or theft.
>
> Is it possible to do this?

KDE has several built-in protocols for accessing network data, including
ssh, sftp, http. and smb. If you'd be serving the file via http, just make
sure the mimetype for .tc files is set to use Tellico to open the file. For
pretty much anything else, if it's a url, you can open it in Tellico. You
can even use the file dialog from within Tellico, just like any other KDE
app. I'm not sure of the right terminology to use, but effectively, Tellico
is built on the KDE libraries, and they make use of network-transparency as
far as file-loading goes.

If you actually wanted to save back, the server file would have to be
writeable, somehow.

I don't know of any issues, but if you hit any, feel free to report them.