[Tellico-users] Re: test git repository for Tellico

Robby Stephenson robby at periapsis.org
Tue Mar 8 04:31:25 UTC 2011

On Monday 07 March 2011, Regis Boudin wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-03-06 at 17:58 -0800, Robby Stephenson wrote:
> > Ideally, I'd like to go back and commit all the different versions of
> > Tellico before it moved to KDE svn. Since Tellico used to be hosted on
> > Novell Forge, which has since shutdown, I didn't keep any of the
> > history. But I do have all the old tarballs, so maybe I can figure out
> > how to add those to the history somehow. Any suggestions?
>
> Hmmm, I believe the Debian git-buildpackage package has a import-orig
> function, which can be used to import tarballs into a git repository.
> Not sure if it can be used to only import and tag, and if it can be used
> on a different distro, though.

Using a slightly modified version of the import-tars script from the git
contrib, I can end up with a branch with all of the tarballs tagged and
proper history. Ii just don't know how to say that the first commit in the
tellico git tree is the child of the last commit from the tarball branch.
http://git.kernel.org/?p=git/git.git;a=blob;hb=HEAD;f=contrib/fast-
import/import-tars.perl

I'm sure git can do it, since it seems to be a swiss army knife of
everything. Just gotta find the right command.