[Tellico-users] Re: barcode compilation issue

Regis Boudin regis at boudin.name
Wed Feb 23 22:08:37 UTC 2011

Hi Again, Alex,

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 20:17 -0500, Alex Lancaster wrote:
> > Thanks Regis,
> >
> > That seems to fix the GCC 4.6. issue. Now I appear to have another
> > compilation issue,
> > this time something to do with the v4l and the barcode support:
> >> fatal error: linux/videodev.h: No such file or directory
> >
> > Full log here:
> >
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=2858983&name=build.log
> >
> > the packages and libraries used for compilation are here:
> >
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=2858983&name=root.log
> >
> > Any ideas? Did they change the v4l API or somesuch?
>
> Ah, it looks like in kernel 2.6.38 and later "/usr/include/linux/videodev.h"
> has been replaced by "/usr/include/linux/videodev2.h"
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/builds/show/F-devel-x86_64/kernel-headers/0/2.6.38/0.rc5.git1.1.fc15/x86_64
>
> Is this as simple as changing videodev.h to videodev2.h?  Or is there
> an API change?

Ok, I had a look, and it appears that the webcam stuff uses the
deprecated v4l API, which was removed from the 2.6.38 kernel. However,
it looks like libv4l does provide a compatibility wrapper to access v4l2
devices through the v4l1 API, including the relevant header. The
attached patch, which I'm about to commit should allow you to compile
and test if it works.

HTH,

Regis