[Tellico-users] Re: Bug report - metadata read fails

Robby Stephenson robby at periapsis.org
Wed Nov 17 03:32:14 UTC 2010

On Friday 12 November 2010, Robby Stephenson wrote:
> On Friday 12 November 2010, james.erwin at lycos.com wrote:
> > I only need a reliable reader and indexer of metadata
> > (mp3, mp4,flac files). Metadata that reads reliably through other
> > programs (media players, tag editors) is often not read by Tellico. I
> > see no pattern for when this happens - no common denominator. No error
> > is shown on import from metadata - it just is not added. I note that
> > the most recent version lists nothing for Ubuntu (I am running Lucid
> > Lynx) and "Debian" is listed as "unstable". Is this a known bug for
> > Ubuntu?
>
> I think you'll have to be a bit more specific. Tellico should be able to
> read metadata for any audio file that the Taglib library can read. mpp4
> can be hit or miss, I think, depending on how the file was created. Is
> it reproducable? That is, if Tellico misses the metadata for a certain
> file, does it miss it every time you try to read it? In that case, let
> me know what kind it is, etc.

Just to follow-up after James and I exchanged some emails, the issue was
that the audio files had conflicting track numbers. That is to say, Tellico
recreates the album track list by reading the track number metadata and
matching with the album name. When mulltiple files have the same track number
for the same album, the track list will get overwritten as Tellico reads all
the files. Once James corrected the track numebrs, everything worked much
better.