[Tellico-users] ID numbers

Robby Stephenson robby at periapsis.org
Mon Feb 22 01:08:21 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 17 February 2010, John D Choate wrote:
>  What I would like to
>  be able to do is to reassign entries with ID numbers 277-280 to be ID 9
>  and whichever other three are currently missing. And after doing so I
>  would like the next entry made to start at ID 277 instead of ID 281. Is
>  there any way to accomplish this, or would it be possible to implement
>  this in a future release of Tellico?

There's no way to really do this currently in Tellico. You'd have to export
the file as XML, and then edit that file to change the ID values there. Then
you could import that file to overwrite your existing data.

>  Also, would it be possible to have
>  an option in the settings so that ID numbers could start at a choice of
>  either 0 or 1. I understand why they start at 0, but I post my
>  collection to my web page and would like non-computer-geek viewers to
>  feel more comfortable reading a list which starts at number 1 instead of
>  0. I suppose I could rebuild the collection and create and delete the
>  first entry, thus skipping ID 0. But it would be greatly helpful to be
>  able to reassign ID numbers.

Heh, that's a point I'd never thought of. The ID values started out as an
internal data value only, to use as a pointer. Then I kept getting requests
for an auto-numbering field, so I just exposed the ID. Renumbering them
hadn't occured to me.

Changing the first one to be 1 instead of 0 is harmless, but that would only
apply for new collections. I think that's easily done.