[Tellico-users] Tellico 2.0 in Gnome?

Regis Boudin regis at boudin.name
Thu Oct 8 13:20:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, October 8, 2009 13:36, nelamvr6 wrote:
> If you could point me towards that deb package that
> you mentioned I would be even more appreciative.

No point in that, it probably won't even install. The debian package was
built in a Debian unstable environment with the lastest versions of Qt and
KDE, and depends on them (Qt 4.5.2, KDE 4.3.1, etc.)

> Secondly, you are mistaken.  You say that I should not assume that the
> problems I am having are common?  Are you kidding me? You are assuming
> that everyone is an expert code slinger! How in the world is Linux ever
> going to progress beyond a niche if the prevailing attitude is that you
> have to pass a proficiency test before you can use it?

I almost answered to that. Why do you think I make Debian packages ? Why
do you think I provided backports for Ubuntu (which I don't use) until
last year ?

> I am not exactly computer illiterate, nor am I completely Linux
> illiterate.
>
> I admit I'm not a developer like you, but I have installed quite a few
> programs using the configure - make - make install routine.  But this
> situation makes me feel like I'm back slogging through Suse 8.

Yes, cmake is different from the autotools. Yes it has flaws. Yes, I still
strugle with some aspects of it. That's what packagers are here for, so
everyone doesn't have to do it.

> If I am having problems enough to come here asking for help can you
> imaging people with even less experience trying to use this program?

They will stick to the previous, still (almost) perfectly working version
that is available in their repository ?

> They are not going to bother, they're going to keep on going and try to
> find a program that they can actually get working.

Do you realise "a program they can actually get working" in your case
would probably be... the previous version of Tellico ?

> I do appreciate you help, and I apologize if I seem snarky this morning,
> but
> I have been frustrated by this for days, and having you tell me that the
> reason I'm having trouble is that I'm just too dumb isn't exactly
> enhancing my Tellico experience.

Seriously, I have never refused to help anyone, and already went as far as
building custom packages. However, when I'm at my 18th consecutive working
day, and someone makes statements showing you don't know how things work
before telling me what I'm supposed to do, I do get irritated.

If you do really want tellico 2.0 asap, try this :

dget -x http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/t/tellico/tellico_2.0-1.dsc
cd tellico-2.0
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc

If the build-dependencies are not satisfied, it will tell you which ones
are missing immediately. If they are, it will build the package, and you
will end up with 3 .deb files. You will need the devscripts package,
possibly fakeroot if it's not already installed.

Regis