[Tellico-users] sorting and formatting

Robby Stephenson robby at periapsis.org
Wed Nov 11 05:39:01 UTC 2009

On Sunday 08 November 2009, Thomas Ronayne wrote:
> > 2) After fixing the name formatting, the sorting will follow whether or
> > not auto-formatting is on, is that what you would expect? Or should it
> > match the title sorting?
>
> Hmm. I pretty much expect that name sorting would be based on parsing
> for a comma no matter what.

Names are a lot harder than titles. If the value has no comma, then a
decision has to be made whether to try to determine the appropriate family
name to sort on.

> I was perfectly happy with the way Tellico handled names and titles in
> versions 1.x; everything made sense, looked "proper," and all was right
> with the world. I'm thinking about the way I was taught to order names
> and titles and subjects in school (hey, about 50 years ago, but there
> your are). Seemed like a good thing then, still does, methinks.

Tellico 1.x sorted names based on whatever was displayed. So if auto-
formatting was turned off, then no extra effort was made to determine family
name. it just sorted alphabetically by whatever was saved for the entry.

It gets tricky with other languages and  nationalities. Trust me. :)