[Tellico-users] KDE3 and secret key

Robby Stephenson robby at periapsis.org
Fri Aug 21 14:40:42 UTC 2009

On Thursday 20 August 2009, Bob Apthorpe wrote:
> My related question is how to log or debug the search traffic so I can
> tell why a search gives no results. If I have to, I'll tweak code to
> make searches work and pass back the code changes (it's only fair) but
> before I can do that I need to know where the disconnect lies.

There's rudimentary support for each search type to report errors to the
user in the form of message() calls. Some of the sources use it more than
others. :) For debugging, most of them have sections where intermediate
files are written out so I can check them, and those sections are just
commented out unless I'm debugging. There's no real logging or anything like
that.

A lot of the external scripts write to stderr when they hit an error, which
gets shown to the user.

> Search logs or debug mode would help as would
> some guide to which search providers I should expect to fail.

I'm also gradually writing unit tests for all the search providers. If one
doesn't work for you, then I can add that search to the test, as well.