Next release

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Thu Jun 22 18:08:08 BST 2023

On Jun 22, 2023, at 11:36, Scott Wheeler <scott at taglib.org> wrote:

> I don’t know anything about either of those formats, but why would they need an ABI break?  Lots of new formats have been added in the 20 years that TagLib’s had ABI stability.

Ok, then I’ve been laboring under a misapprehension. My bad!

EBU 3285, published by the European Broadcasting Union, is a set of extensions to the basic RIFF/WAV format that address additional metadata that are relevant to use in radio and TV broadcasting environments. You can find them online at https://tech.ebu.ch/publications/tech3285.

AES46 is a metadata chunk specification for WAV files that encodes basic things like Title and Artist data as well as some additional more esoteric data that is helpful in radio play-out automation —e.g. “timers”, which are basically pointers to specific instants within the encapsulated <data> chunk. Prior to its formal standardization as AES46, it was known as “CartChunk”, a term that is still widely used as a verbal shorthand in the radio broadcasting industry. Unfortunately, getting the full standard requires that one purchase a copy from the Audio Engineering Society, at https://www.aes.org/publications/standards/search.cfm?docID=41.

I’d like to work up a PR to add support for these. Before doing so, are there any pointers available online that outline the basic approach, particularly with emphasis on retaining backward ABI compatibility? (I’m not finding anything that specifically pertains to this in the online API documentation).

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. |             Chief Developer             |
|                           |             Paravel Systems             |
|         A room without books is like a body without a soul.         |
|                                                         -- Cicero   |