[OT] Streaming ID3 metadata [WAS: Storing custom frame metadata]

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Tue Mar 24 13:24:24 GMT 2020

On Mar 23, 2020, at 00:45, Jeremy Fish <mezoe7 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am attempting to live stream an audio file while attaching metadata to the ID3 frames, which is done programmatically as the track is playing live & being streamed. The metadata is a set of parameters (let’s say an array of ~20 integers) that indicate when certain lights are triggered in sync with the audio track. Those need to be recorded in the Frame of the audio so that it can be sent to a client program to stream + re-run the light pattern, with the lights & music in sync.

Depending on your specific requirements, you may want to check out the GlassNet family of streaming tools, which have the capability to do this sort of thing already —i.e. embed arbitrary ID3 frames in an audio stream and recover them in a synchronized fashion at the receiver. It’s Linux, and utilizes HLS (and yes, it uses TagLib). Both are specifically designed to be embedded as components within a larger system.

GlassCoder [encoder]:	https://github.com/ElvishArtisan/GlassCoder
GlassPlayer [receiver]:	https://github.com/RadioFreeAsia/GlassPlayer

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. |             Chief Developer             |
|                           |             Paravel Systems             |
|         A room without books is like a body without a soul.         |
|                                                         -- Cicero   |