Is ID3v2::FrameFactory really utilized?

Francois Cartegnie fcvlcdev at free.fr
Wed Sep 25 13:50:45 UTC 2013

> On Sep 11, 2013, at 4:17 PM, Tsuda Kageyu <tsuda.kageyu at gmail.com> wrote:

>> If there is someone using it, we'd better make changes so that it can
>> affect all the file formats which support ID3v2 tag. Otherwise, we can
>> remove it.
>
> It's never actually been possible to use it properly because of a bug in the initial version:  ID3v2FrameFactory::createFrame() wasn't made virtual.  We've been stuck with that bug for binary compatibility reasons for the last 10 years.
>
> In theory I still like the idea -- TagLib doesn't implement the full ID3v2 standard and subclassing ID3v2FrameFactory would in theory make it possible for users of the library to implement frame types not supported by TagLib itself without forking TagLib.

Hi,

I just ran into this right now, and i'm really disappointed.

That private ::Header thing doesn't event allow any workaround.

Can't it be fixed using a version conditional call to a new virtual
Create() method at Tag() level ?

What prevented to fix -documentation- instead of letting people loosing
their time implementing Factories & Frames ?

Francois