Taglib query

Mike Van rhijn mike.vanrhijn at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 05:58:38 CET 2011

Hi
Apologies if this is a repost. I don't think my mail yesterday went through as I
was not subscribed to the list.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. If not, can
someone please point me to the right place?

I'm using taglib 1.7 (I started a few weeks back with 1.6.3) to develop an
application that can write ID3 tags. I found it pretty easy to use apart from
one thing.

When  using TagLib::ID3v2::Tag: the documentation says the following about "
virtual void TagLib::ID3v2::Tag::setAlbum     (     const String &       s
 )      [virtual]"

Sets the album to s. If s is String::null then this value will be cleared.

I've found however that passing TagLib::String::null does not clear the tag.

The following is an  exttract of the code I'm using:

MPEG::File f([theFile UTF8String]);
ID3v2::Tag *mp3Tag = f.ID3v2Tag();

if (mp3Tag) {

mp3Tag->setAlbum([Album length] == 0 ? String::null : [Album
cStringUsingEncoding:NSUTF8StringEncoding]);
bool result = f.save();
    if (result = NO) {
        NSLog(@"tag did not save");
    }else {
        NSLog(@"tag did save");
    }
}

According  to the logging the tag did save successfully, however upon reading
the  tag again the album field is still set to the old value before  submitting
String::null. I've also changed the code to log whether the  Album length is
detected as 0 and whether String::null is indeed  submitted and it is. I haven't
tried this with all the set methods but  found the same when using  setComment.
For setComment I even tried adding  mp3Tag->removeFrames("COMM"); which should
remove all comment frames.  I then used setComment(String::null) afterwards but
was still present  and had the old value;

I'm doing this on MAC OS X using xcode. Can any body please advise where I'm
going wrong? I found  this while using taglib 1.6.3 and then downloaded 1.7 in
the hope that  it would resolve the issue;
Regards,
Mike