static v dynamic linking for proprietary apps

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Wed Jun 1 06:03:49 CEST 2011

On Jun 1, 2011, at 4:58 AM, Glenn McCord wrote:

> There's been discussion about the office about whether or not we can
> (legally) statically link taglib into our proprietary application. The
> LGPL seems to imply that we'd have to dynamically link, but the MPL
> seems to imply that we can statically link.

You may statically link to TagLib in closed source projects -- and in fact that was the specific reason for switching from LGPL alone to LGPL / MPL.

> We're thinking we'd need to:
> - Make mention of using taglib in the manual
> - Mention taglib in the EULA

Yes, sounds about right.

> - We're not sure if we need to provide download links from our
> downloads page, considering we're not going to modify the source.

If the source code is unmodified you don't have to distribute it, and if it is modified the distribution requirements can effectively be met by sending a patch to this mailing list or putting it in the bug tracker.