static v dynamic linking for proprietary apps

Glenn McCord glenn.mccord at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 04:58:51 CEST 2011

There's been discussion about the office about whether or not we can
(legally) statically link taglib into our proprietary application. The
LGPL seems to imply that we'd have to dynamically link, but the MPL
seems to imply that we can statically link. We figured we'd better ask
the developers.

It would be great if their was an LGPL/MPL compliance checklist on
your website such as that at ffmepg's site:
http://www.ffmpeg.org/legal.html

We're thinking we'd need to:
- Make mention of using taglib in the manual
- Mention taglib in the EULA

- We're not sure if we need to provide download links from our
downloads page, considering we're not going to modify the source.

The closest I've got to finding a previous answer to this was on this
mailing list thread:
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/taglib-devel/2006-April/000312.html

Thanks

Glenn