Help for someone just learning c++ and linux

Anonymous bin Ich ichbinanon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 15:52:16 CET 2011

On 02/08/2011 04:06 AM, Patrick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am have successfully compiled taglib into a directory of my choice, using ./configure --prefix='/home/taglib, so I have a directory in /home which has  /taglib/bin lib include. So when I create my .cpp script where should I put it, and when I am ready to create a binary of my script, what should my g++ compile command look like based on my dir setup?
>
> btw the I have tried the g++ commands in the commented first lines in the example files, but I always get an error from g++ stating it cannot find the .h files.
>
> Anyones help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks for a great script!
> Pat

Hi Patrick!

By the way, this has nothing to do with taglib, so you should ask this
question at linuxquestions.org or some such. Now that being said, here
is a pointer for you:

There are some standard locations where you may install taglib (or any
other package for that matter).

/usr is THE location. Your package manager (apt-get, emerge etc.)
installs here by default.
/usr/local is where you install something you don't want your package
manger to mess up with it. Package mangers never touch anything inside
/usr/local

If you don't have root permission, you can install taglib in your home
directory. (To do this, you will need to run "./configure --prefix=$HOME".)

Packages are meant for users, and not meant to be a user themselves.
Don't ever install a package in /home/ as you have done (/home/taglib ? No!)

I suggest you install taglib in /usr/local (./configure
--prefix=/usr/local).

Regards