Xing and Fraunhofer VBRI

Jim jmartin92 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 21 22:08:14 CET 2010

Hi James.

I managed to take a look at the file you made available.  Unfortunately I wasn't
able to correct the zero length/bitrate problem.  I was able to get TagLib to
read the file properly.  (It was originally falsely detecting the beginning of a
frame but that was easy to fix.)

However, that file has a bad Xing header.  Or rather, the Xing header is valid
but the values that it contains seem impossible.  The reason you are getting a
bad file length is because the Xing header says there is only one frame in the
entire file.  So 1 frame at 44100 Hz sample rate would mean less than one second
in length.  I am not sure if this is the cause for the other files you have.

Jim