ID3v2.3.0

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Fri Aug 27 15:26:42 CEST 2010

On 08/27/2010 07:32 AM, Thomas wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Thomas <tosate at gmail.com
> <mailto:tosate at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     ID3v2.4.0 is already 10 years old but it’s still cutting edge, since
>     most of the current software uses ID3v2.3.0. In my opinion, a
>     tagging library should support generating ID3v2.3.0 tags. It ensures
>     interoperability and far-ranging application areas.
>     I appreciate Scott Wheeler’s work, but I cannot understand why he is
>     only concentrated on generating ID3v2.4.0 tags.

Why he concentrated on ID3v2.4 is to try to help push forward the 2.4
standard. The reason Windows can get away with only supporting ID3v2.3
even in Windows 7 is because of people like you conforming to their
laziness.

FWIW, iTunes does support ID3v2.4. So does nearly every tagging program,
application and library out there. Windows is a big, particularly
glaring omission and they have no reason to fix that if people bend
backwards instead of pushing them to leap forwards (to a ten-year-old
standard!)

--Jeff