Writing byte data to tags

Lukáš Lalinský lalinsky at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 10:27:33 CEST 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Glenn McCord <glenn.mccord at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm definitely considering it. I was going to use
>
> TagLib::FLAC::File f(path);
> TagLib::ID3v2::Tag *tag = f.ID3v2Tag();
>
> and then start adding custom data to a GEOB tag which would be applied
> to the ID3v2 tag.
>
> Looking at the online API:
> http://developer.kde.org/~wheeler/taglib/api/classTagLib_1_1FLAC_1_1File.html#48569df79341414f29c03d4d3f4191c5
>
> it seemed to imply I could write an ID3v2 tag to a FLAC container.

Yes, it's currently possible. That option will go away with TagLib 2.0.

> I'm open to suggestions on a better way to do this though.

If you add ID3v2 tags to FLAC files, you will make them unreadable for
many players. If you want to store binary data in vorbis comments,
base64-encode them. People will not be happy, but it's better if you
make their files unplayable.

Lukas